Reaching agreement on financial or other arrangements of your forthcoming marriage.
Resolving ongoing issues, improving your marriage, addressing potential future life events (e.g divorce, disability, retirement, children’s education)
Deciding the issues that must be decided in order to have an uncontested divorce (that is, a divorce where you, rather than a judge, makes all the major decisions about your future and that of your children).
Help dividing or allocating retirement money and benefits in divorce
Revisiting spousal support (alimony), revisiting parenting or custody, updating or correcting child support, addressing parental relocation, paying for college, coordinating estate planning with your children in mind
A courtroom is rarely the best place for couples or families to resolve disagreements or decide the issues that must be decided in divorce.
My entire practice is devoted to helping people avoid having a judge make crucial decisions about their and their family’s personal and financial future.
Wherever you are in your separation, divorce or other family-related challenge, I’ll meet you there — and I will help.
The only exception is that I will not serve as your lawyer in a contested court case. Plenty of lawyers will gladly charge you tens of thousands of dollars, or more, to try (and possibly fail) to get a judge to do what you want. I don't want that work. I’d rather help you and your spouse or partner make decisions together, so you keep far more of that money for yourselves and your children.
Whether you are an individual looking for a family lawyer to help you with a prenuptial agreement, post-marital agreement, or property settlement agreement, or you are a couple who wants a mediator to help you work through premarital issues, problems during the marriage, separation and divorce, or problems that arise after divorce, the chances are I can help.
Choose “Mediation” or “Legal Representation” for a quick summary of my services:
Mediation can be helpful in many ways, including with:
- Creating premarital (prenuptial) agreements
- Divorce – Help with any and all phases of separation and divorce
- Decisions about living and financial arrangements during separation and beyond, e.g., what happens to the marital home?
- Decisions about spousal support (alimony)
- Decisions about parenting or custody
- Decisions about child-support
- Resolving other family conflict such as disagreements about inheritances, elder care, or family-business conflict or succession
- Finding ways to improve / preserve your marriage or any relationship
As a lawyer representing you individually, I can help with:
- Collaborative Divorce
- Mediation when you and the other person are using a mediator other than me; I can help you participate more effectively in the mediation, advise you about the law, help you formulate proposals and responses to proposals, and review written agreements being considered in mediation
- All phases of separation and divorce, including representation in “Collaborative Divorce” (I do not handle contested court cases)
- Living and financial arrangements during separation and beyond, e.g., what happens to the marital home; will interim support be paid?
- Domestic Relations Orders (court orders required for the division of retirement plans and benefits) including Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDROs), and similar orders for division of federal employee TPS and FERS retirement plans and military retirement benefits
- Premarital (prenuptial) agreements
- Spousal support (alimony)
- Parenting and custody
- Child support
- Other family conflict (e.g. inheritances, elder care, or family-business conflict or succession)